Cancellation for packages with confirmed and pre-ordered accommodation and services is subject to the following terms:
The customer loses rights to reimbursement for being too late or for failing to present necessary and valid travel documents. Necessary travel documents may include passport, travel visa, driver's license, immunization certificate, vouchers, and/or other documents.
Volcano Trails reserves the right to change or cancel tours and services and cannot be held responsible for unforeseeable circumstances over which the travel agency has no control and the consequences of which it could not have prevented. Volcano Trails will notify its client as soon as possible.
Parts of packaged tours or tours in their entirety may be operated by a third-party service provider. Information about the operating agency is available in the client's personal travel itinerary.
If a passenger who, at the beginning of the tour, indicates that he or she will cause disturbance to the fellow travelers by means of conduct, intoxication, etc. will be in breach of this contract. Volcano Trails is authorized to prevent him/her from embarking on or continuing the journey. The relevant passenger must complete it at his/her expense, without any right to claim reimbursement by the travel agency.
The travel agency is authorized to refuse to accept the business of persons on the grounds of their previous offenses and to reject the business of individuals whom the travel agency deems as being unable to travel, for example, on the grounds of illness, etc.
Volcano Trails disclaims responsibility for any loss, damage, accident, sickness or changes to schedules caused by force majeure, such as acts of nature, labor dispute or any other irregularity outside Volcano Trails’s control. Volcano Trails reserves the right to alter routes, itineraries or departure times, without prior notice, should the necessity arise.
The travel agency reserves the right to limit the payment of damages in conformity with the limitations as provided for by national law or international agreements.
The travel agency assumes that the participants in group tours enjoy such good health that there is no risk of them causing discomfort to themselves or others in case of group tours or delaying the tour because of an illness. A passenger that has taken ill during a trip is personally responsible for the costs derived thereof, as well as the expenses for returning home. A passenger does not have the right to reimbursement if he or she does not complete a tour for these reasons or other reasons for which the travel agency cannot be held responsible.
A passenger suffering injury or damage to property because a tour is unsatisfactory has the right to the payment of damages except in instances where:
If a tour does not meet the provisions of the contract, the passenger may demand remedy unless this results in abnormal costs or significant problems for the travel agency. If improvements cannot be made or only through a lesser service, the passenger has the right to a price decrease of his or her tour equaling the difference between the agreed service and the provided service.
Volcano Trails does not provide personal travel insurance. Participants are advised to secure, at their own expense, personal travel, accident/illness, and luggage insurance. Cancellation insurance is not included in the price of a tour.
In some instances, we only act as resellers. The terms of service from third parties may apply for transportation and bus tickets to and from Þórsmörk.
Minimum 20% downpayment is required upon booking.
A discount may be offered for full payment upon reservation for online bookings.
All cancellations must be made by e-mail.
In conformity with common business practices within the Icelandic travel industry, ISAK charges the following cancellations fees:
More than 4 weeks prior to arrival: 80% refund
Less than 4 weeks and more than 1 week prior to arrival: 50% refund
Less than 1 week notice: no refund
Minimum age is 25 years for individual rental, can be lowered to 21 if driver has held a valid license for 2 years with the young drivers insurance for an additional fee per day per young driver.
Minimum age is 21 year for driving in guided tours.
All drivers need to have held a valid drivers licence for 2 years, an International Driving Permit (IDP) / International Driving License (IDL) is also required if the national driver’s license is not in the Roman script.
Prepaid fuel is available. All cars are rented out with a full tank. If the car is not returned with a full tank a fuel filling charge applies and will be charged to the credit card provided on the rental agreement.
Damage, theft, rescues and accidents
In the event of a car breakdown, theft or major accident the ISAK main number +354 419 4000 (available from 08-16:30, dial 9 before and after these hours) must be contacted immediately. Transporting a damaged car costs ISK 450,- per km for the Lessee. For a transportation/handling of an damaged vehicle there is always a minimum cost of ISK 65.000,- which the renter must cover. In the case of an emergency the Lessee liable for all rescue cost that might be charged to ISAK by a third party. For further details see Rental Agreement.
Damages include all damage inflicted on the vehicle during rental related to the usage of the car or accidents that are not vehicle malfunctions. That includes broken axles, drive shafts, clutches, transmission, drive or any other damage caused by improper use or rough driving. Included in all rentals is the standard collision damage waiver (CDW) with a self risk of 500.000 ISK
Optional Super CDW can be purchased for limiting the self risk to 125.000 ISK. For further details see Rental Agreement.
Damages are generally payable at the end of the rental. However, if a car so badly damaged that it has to be replaced, ISAK asks for settlement of the damage before a replacement vehicle will be provided. For further details see Rental Agreement.
Replacing a damaged vehicle with another vehicle is subject to availability. Sometimes replacing the damaged vehicle with the same type is not possible. Such action by ISAK does not constitute a breach of contract and does not entitle the Lessee to any refund. If no alternative vehicle is available, ISAK has no liability for refund any cost inferred by the Lessee. A replacement vehicle will not be provided before the damage of the old car has been settled. For further details see Rental Agreement.
Obligations of the Lessee:
a. a deposit amounting to the estimated cost of leasing the vehicle;
Obligations of the Lessor
20. The lessor shall to the best of his ability inform a foreign lessee of Icelandic traffic regulations, traffic signs and of prohibitions against off-road driving and provide all lessees with special information booklets at the beginning of the lease period.
21. The lessor shall be committed to keep the real-time location of his vehicles confidential and only use it
22. Should the lessor wish to limit the use of the vehicle with regard to its equipment beyond what is specified in this lease, it shall be done in writing at the signature of the lease. Such limits shall constitute a part of the lease and its conditions.
23. The lessor undertakes to maintain valid liability insurance for his business operations and mandatory liability insurance for all his vehicles.
24. The lease sum/rental fee includes mandatory vehicle insurance, including liability insurance and accident insurance for the driver and the owner.
25. Third-party liability insurance will consist of the amount stipulated by Icelandic law at any given time.
26. The lessee can purchase loss damage waiver insurance coverage as a supplement. The self-risk deductible shall be specified in this lease.
27. This loss damage waiver insurance does not cover:
28. This lease agreement shall always be kept in the vehicle during the term of the lease.
29. Additions and amendments to the terms of this lease agreement shall be in writing.
30. The lessor is allowed to assume possession of the vehicle at any time and without notice if parked illegally or if it has been used in a manner inconsistent with this lease agreement or in contravention to law or regulations or if the vehicle appears abandoned.
31. If smoking takes place in the vehicle, the lessee is obligated to pay for cleaning the vehicle according to the schedule of charges of ISAK in each instance.
32. The lessee confirms with his signature to this agreement that if the vehicle suffers loss or damage for which the lessee is responsible, the following documentation shall be viewed as adequate proof for the cost and extent of such loss or damage, regardless of whether a civil lawsuit for such a claim is pursued or not:
33. The laws of Iceland shall apply to agreements based on the above terms, including damage claims that may be made. This applies both to the basis and calculation of compensation. The same applies to damage claims on the basis of compensation responsibility outside agreements. If a dispute arises over this lease agreement (or claims for damages of the vehicle and/or related cost), it shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the Reykjavík District Court (or the district court of the area where the damage occurred in accordance with article 41 of the Act on Civil Procedure no. 91/1991) and both parties to this agreement specifically agree to the jurisdiction of the Icelandic courts in any such cases. However, the lessor is authorized but not obliged to pursue a lawsuit against the lessee in the venue of the lessee.
Stjörnunótt ehf. / Volcano Trails is domiciled at Desjamýri 8, 270 Mosfellsbær.
For matters of dispute or in cases where these terms are not applicable, please contact our booking manager for assistance by email at [email protected] or by phone +354 419 4000.
Stjörnunótt ehf/Volcano Trails
+354 419 4000